Military Spousesknow it well: When our s/os leave for any period of time there will be gremlins. The kids will get sick, things will break, issues that he/she would have dealt with will fly out of control. Well…. for a long time when DH would go out things wouldn’t break and colds and flu bugs would stay at bay and instead, it seemed, something worse would happen with a family member. I’ve written about this before.
This away time we’ve had our fair share of real gremlins. And I am grateful, because *knock wood* our family has stayed healthy in the larger sense of the word….
But here’s our rundown with the latest addition:
- I got a small cold immediately after DH left. Kicked it fast.
- The first weekend, after a marathon of helping Little Miss back into bed (57 times, I believe….) I threw my back out. I couldn’t stand up straight that day. It was not good. That lasted only about 24 hours. I was so thankful, as I couldn’t figure out how I would make it through with my back out and a two year old and pregnant.
- Little Miss had a tummy bug that wouldn’t quit and we couldn’t get in to see a doc. She was sick for 2.5 weeks–1.5 of those being during this little adventure.
- Little Miss went on a sleep strike and would not stay in her bed for many nights in a row.
- Our phone line snapped in a little bit of wind and fell down rendering us phoneless. The phone company would not believe it was their phoneline until I checked our phone box. Yay for me and my skills with a flat-head screwdriver.
- I caught…. these ‘allergies’ which feel like bronchitis to me. I’ve been sick for most of the last week. The meds the doctor prescribed made it worse. I still have rainbow pleghm and phenomenally amazing coughing fits.
- I got a phone call saying that there was a good chance my doctor would be in a warzone in two weeks instead of delivering my child… It’s really anybody’s guess who will wear the catcher’s mit. Stinks much more for her than me, but it’s a little late in the game for such a switcheroo.
And now for the worst of all occurring yesterday:
- I lost our cat. Chester must have slipped out without me knowing it at some point yesterday when I was in or out of the garage, or in or out with Little Miss…. When we left to go work in the church nursery last night I saw a flash of black and thought, “I’m sure Chester is inside.” When we got home, I assumed he was in one of the bedrooms or closets curled up asleep. I woke up at 1 or 2 and realized I hadn’t seen or heard him, checked the house, checked the yard. He’s gone…. I feel absolutely terrible, and I don’t know what to do. He’s been a part of our family since Husband left for Basic, and Little Miss adores him…. I’m praying he’ll come back or we’ll scout him out somehow.
So yes…. I am glad for the lack of major catastrophe over the last almost three weeks, but this little stuff has truly worn me down to a nub. And I really want our kitty to come back. And Husband.